Friday, June 1, 2007

A question only a mother would ask.

Whenever I talk with people from back home, different people ask different things.
Some people ask about school.
Some people ask about the weather.
Some people ask when I’m coming home.
Some people don’t ask about anything. They’re too busy telling me about themselves. You know who you are! ;) don’t worry, I like hearing about life back in the great white north.

But most of my questions come from my mom.
Are you sleeping well?
Eating well? What did you eat? Did you eat enough? Are you eating enough veggies? You’re eating wholegrain bread right?
How’s the weather? Are you cold? Are you hot? Did you put enough sunscreen on?
How’s school? Tough studying? Staying on top of your work?
Getting along with your friends? Make any new friends? Any pretty girls?
And I answer most of these questions with the standard 22 year-old male responses. Yes mom. No mom. I will mom. I’m fine mom.
Inevitably though, she’ll ask something that no one else ever asks. Did you go to the washroom today? You know what it means. Not for a shower. Not to brush my teeth. And not just for #1. Did I defecate. THAT is the question. It always brings a smile to my face.
My mom and I are pretty close. We’ll talk about just about anything. If I skipped class in high school, I’ll voluntarily tell her that I skipped. Went out drinking with my buddies to the wee hours of the morning? She already knows about it. But this question… I’m always just in a hurry to get it over with. “oh! Mom! Yes, I went POO today mom. Happy?!?” That’s something only a mother would ask. (I guess your family doc could and probably should).

So today, before my mom even asks, I’ll tell her. Yes mom, I went to the toilet this morning.
And in case any of YOU out there were wondering but were just too shy to ask… Yes. My bowel movements are regular and just fine. Thanks for your concern. ;)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Noticed how no one left a message?

44darts said...

yea what's up with that?

Anonymous said...

너하고 그런 대화를 나눌수있는 사람은 네 말대로 오직 너와 너의 엄마뿐이라고 생각한다. 그런 대화속에서 아들에 대한 너의 엄마의 진한 사랑을, 아들로서 엄마에 대한 편안하면서도 푸근한 사랑을 느낄수 있다.참 보기좋다. 모든 엄마들이 이런 아들을 갖고 싶어하리라 생각한다.

eejenee said...

lol, i love your mom :)