Wagging – skipping class. Don’t you have lectures today? Yea, but I’m wagging.
Sticks – rural area, boonies. “Where do you live?” “Oh, I live out in the sticks. About 6 hours away from any major city.”
Cracker – really good, great. So the other day I get an e-mail from my surf instructor and the first line read “Cracker link on your blog!” and I’m thinking “huh?? What does that mean and how did he find my blog?” turns out he’s got a tracker on his website. After the post from a few Fridays ago, I guess a lot of you had checked out the website. He was curious to see where all his new traffic was coming from and that led him back to my blog. So there’s another word courtesy of Jamo. CRACKER!
Cheers – I can’t believe I haven’t mentioned this one already. It’s probably the first word I noticed. It’s synonymous with “thanks”. But it’s often used on parting or ending a conversation. Every aussie signs off their e-mails with a “cheers” at the end.
Queue – back home we don’t use this word much. And when we do, we usually use it as a noun. “there was a long queue in front of the bank machine”. But here, it serves more in its verb form. “I was in a hurry but people had queued up past the entrance and around the building”. “hey, what’s everyone queuing up for?”
Overcooked – I am NOT making this one up. It came up in our PBL group meeting the other day. So I’m told that in oz, the word “overcooked” is used to describe a baby that is delivered post-term or a baby that is overdue. Where did they come up with this? Well, apparently a baby that’s delivered after 40 weeks, “looks overcooked”. I’m told that their skin is RED and dry... like an overcooked turkey or something. How’s THAT for some imagery?
I just have to remind myself that aussie english isn’t ‘weird’. Just different. Cases in point:
• Toilet – not bathroom, restroom, washroom, powder room or any other room. Just toilet.
• Eskie - ice box, cooler
• Trolley – shopping cart
• Heaps – lots, tons
• Car park – parking lot
• Footpath – side walk
• Scull – gulp down, chug down
1 comment:
Mmm...Cracker.
So apparently that a racial term as well.
I was writing a psychology essay on crackers (the food, like graham crackers)...And I got frustrated writing one day, and wrote "I hate crackers" as my MSN sn. After a few of my friends said something, I had to change it to "I hate graham crackers!".
Just so you know...
Hannnah
Post a Comment