I had a WICKED time.
We went down to this place called coolangatta. it is on border of queensland and new south wales on the eastern coast. The beach was so gorgeous.
For $130 we got two 2-hour lessons, full equipment rental, 2 nights of accommodation and 2 continental breakfasts. Not too shabby… not too shabby at all.
Unfortunately I don’t have any action shots. But this is the all of us at the end of our second lesson.
l→r: kim, laura, tricia, susan, craig, victoria, sarah, Miguel (our instructor) and me!
who are all these people? Tricia and susan are my classmates. Laura is a friend from Toronto studying law at UQ. Kim is her roommate. Craig is kim’s boyfriend. Victoria is kim’s cousin from germany. She is here on exchange for a semester. Sarah is victoria’s friend. Also from germany.
in the mornings when the moon was still up,
we got up to catch the sunrise. It was quite nice.
We even had an aussie-style bbq. What’s so special about an aussie bbq? Well you know how back home we have bbq grills in parks where you can bring your own coal and have a bbq? Well here in oz, there are little stations with electrical barbies (bbqs). Just push a button and voila! you’ve got a huge frying pan!
And of course, we had the obligatory sausage sizzles.
Unfortunately the weather was not terribly cooperative.
But it did give us a beautiful rainbow.
As mentioned, coolangatta sits on the border of queensland and new south wales.
QUEENSLAND!
NEW SOUTH WALES!
How was the surfing itself?
It was great. It was a lot easier than I expected. I stood up on several occasions and caught some good waves.
The tricky thing is timing. Standing up isn’t so tough. It’s the paddling and knowing when to stand.
I’ve even got some battle wounds to show for my 2 days of hard surfing.
You normally wear a rash guard (when your skins rubs against the surf board it can easily get irritated). But the rash guards they had for us were short sleeves.
That’s a wrap!
I’ll try and post again before I fly off to Sydney on Wednesday morning.
1 comment:
Looks like you had an awesome Easter weekend. Loved the sun rise shot, really have to go see this place before you leave, it looks so beautiful out there. So now that your more of a pro at surfing are you gonna purchase a rash guard? Have a great week off!
Post a Comment