Saturday, March 31, 2007

bagels...

During my high school years my standard lunch was a toasted bagel with cream cheese, a Royal Gala apple (not just any apple, ALWAYS a ROYAL GALA apple) and a juice box. As a matter of fact, that was the standard lunch throughout my university years too.

Growing up, I was so sick and tired of bagels. We always had a dozen bagels in our breadbasket. i used to despise bagels. when I would question my mom as to why we ate so many bagels my mom would kid that my dad was part jewish. We were Korean-Jews and bagels were a natural part of our daily diet. :D

I have not had a bagel since I’ve arrived in Brisbane.
And it’s weird but there are moments when I crave a warm toasted bagel with soft cream cheese. Perhaps with a nice tall glass of orange juice.
I’ve looked for bagels at the supermarket. I’ve looked for bagels at the local bakery. *shakes head* not much luck.
I’ve questioned a local brissie (a person from Brisbane) classmate as to where all the bagels were. Her response was: “ah, you north americans are always looking for your bagels!”
Apparently bagels are a bit of a novelty item here. You can only find them in special shops and bakeries. This makes me want a bagel even more. Oh, how fickle my stomach and taste buds are.

7 comments:

niaree said...

the woolies i shop at sells bagels
AND cream cheese. looks like they're fancy... ;)

Anonymous said...

again, your blog postings make me sad..

would you like me to send you some bagels express? i'll like freeze them good...

-Hannnnnnnah

Without ever knowing the way said...

i love timmie's cinnamon-raison bagels with strawberry cream cheese. :) sorry....haha!


do you miss timmie's!? oh ya, you don't drink coffee. do you miss timmie's hot chocolate?

kare

Without ever knowing the way said...

i don't know why i spelled 'raisin' as 'raison'

Anonymous said...

Galbert.

I've arrived...yet again... to grace this place...again with my presence.

Quit whining and go back and study.

I think imma go and get a bagel and orange jews @ the tim's downstairs.

Perhaps i'll go down to the AC afterwards and use my U of T access card to get in (freely) and work out for a bit.

Perhaps i'll even take the TTC to get there.

You have yourself a WONDERFUL day down there cuzz~ ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey Al,
I just had this big fat sesame bagel hehe!

yeah I remember your bagels with cream cheese - you used to share them with me in class cuz I'd get too hungry :)

Unknown said...

People can be so cruel... sweetie, when you come back I'll make sure you eat nothing but bagels...
Wink~*